NRLM envisages that the poor move gradually on the continuum from consumption → debt swapping → enhancement of existing livelihoods → diversification. Major focus of NRLM is to stabilize and promote existing livelihoods portfolio of the poor, in farm and in non-farm sectors. NRLM would look at the entire portfolio of livelihoods of each household and facilitate support for the activities at the individual/household level, or in a collective, or at both levels. As agriculture is the mainstay livelihoods activity for a large proportion of the rural poor, NRLM will lay special focus on sustainable agriculture and allied activities like animal husbandry, non-timber forest produce and fisheries.
The NRLM Livelihoods Promotion are:
- ‘Vulnerability reduction’ and ‘livelihoods enhancement’ through deepening/enhancing and expanding existing livelihoods options and tapping new opportunities within the key livelihoods that are virtually universally practiced like agriculture, livestock, fisheries, forest produce collection;
- Mahila Kisan Sashaktikaran Pariyojana
- Infrastructure and Marketing Support Fund for Livelihoods
- ‘Skilled wage employment‘ – building skills for the job market outside;
- Skill Development and Placements
- ‘Enterprises‘ – nurturing self-employed and entrepreneurs (for micro-enterprises).
- Self Employment